Friday, May 7, 2010

5-7-10 Flukes and the Whales Who Own Them

Friday, May 7th


...delving into my pictures from the May 1st encounter with Capt. Hook T-40 and four other whales while on Maya's Westside Charters with Capt. Jim... ...well little did I know I would actually be able to isolate 4 different killer whale tails...now I won't count Captain Hook T40, as his tail is unmistakable...but what about the others?...
...I will have to have matching info on each image layer to be able to draw a conclusion - i.e. saddle patches, body scratches, dorsal fins...this is definitely a several layer puzzle...

....since they were flying out of the water so much...they gave lots of opportunity...

 
...the tail above has notches on both flukes, and of course the scratch marks...and the black edging...

...below, this tail is smooth edged on both flukes...with little scratching...much more hookie on both sides...male...maybe...
 

 

...below, this tail is smooth on one fluke and notched on the other... and the black edging is really thick...it took me a while to realize there were two with notches - whew!

...below, this one belongs to 'junior' or 'juniorette' the youngest/smallest of the group - T071C...
T071C has a blemish on the lower section of this one's tail...

...so one ID'd and three to go...
...at least one of the others is a male and one is a female...not sure on the third...
...the ID book on these whales says '??' under sex...but I did get belly shots of a male - not Capt. Hook -that shows the ID-able tail....now to attempt the next layer!

...I'll keep searching and maybe next time I will be able to match them up!...

...I love a good puzzle!

No comments: