Sunday, November 6, 2016

11-6-16 A Morning of Humpback Whales

Sunday, November 6th
...after an evening (Nov 5th) of many hours of humpback whales heard over the Lime Kiln hydrophones...here's a clip...
....I then wondered if any would be around this morning...A friend was visiting and as I was putting my socks on I hear, "HUMPBACK WHALE!" (HB - #1) - yes! being yelled out!
...out the door and down island to Land Bank instead of starting Lime Kiln Pt. State Park like usual...
...get out of the car and even before getting out the binos - "humpback!"
...that was HB - # 2 ...coming up island, so off to the park we went...
...we were looking for HB- #1 (coming down from the north) and HB - #2 (coming up from Land Bank)...and instead my friend sees HB - #3 and #4 !!


...there's another out by Beaumont Shoals area!
...it was taking very long dives and so back to active #3 and # 4...

...another one - who???...surfaces off Discovery Island while HB #2 was being watched by my friend and #3 and #4 were off of Chathan Island going down...

None were close and they were difficult to keep track of...but no matter, it is always fascinating to see whales... 

I added this map to give you an idea as to actually where they were in Haro Strait.
 

No comments: