Saturday, January 7, 2017

1-7-17 Transient Orcas on the West Side

Saturday, January 7th
...lucky to be at the right spot...today when I see a message that says whales on the west side, probably up island...I went outside and stood there lamenting..."every time I go to town...." (I had just gotten back)...
...oops! One surfaced!  
...yay!

...and when these two surfaced I knew right away who...
...it was just about 4pm...the seas were calm...and this time all four were present...

...last time I remember them being around was on December 24th...they had gone up island in the afternoon, I had only seen three (I did not see T18)...they were very vocal over the Orca Sound hydrophones (for Ts) and then about 30 minutes later off the Lime Kiln hydrophones...but they had been traveling up island so hearing them again, faint, over the Lime Kiln HPs they had either crossed a distant spot that LK could pick them up or they had changed direction...

...today I don't know if they vocalized over the Lime Kiln hydrophones before I had seen them but they were completely quiet over the Orca Sound hydrophones and also the Lime Kiln, and nothing heard since then...



...this will show you why he got the nickname Mr. Floppy Fin...one heck of a huge, broad dorsal fin!


And where is J Pod?
...as far as I know there has been no word on J Pod since they were last seen on Dec 28th...




No comments: