Saturday, March 4, 2017

3-4-17 J Pod Adjusting After the Loss of Their Leader

Saturday, March 4th
(note: correction added 9:40 a.m. 3/5)
no rain, no wind, no snow...
and there was sunshine and word of whales!

...J Pod whales were heading in...
...they were going against an ebb so they weren't moving very quickly...
...it took them a very long time to cross Haro Strait, before they began moving north...but some stayed offshore a couple miles...
...from shore in different places throughout the day I saw foraging behavior...
...echolocating over the Lime Kiln hydrophones and later over the Orca Sound hydrophones...and vocals too...

No telling what we will see as the whales adjust...but there will be many eyes watching and wondering...

What ended up being most interesting to me was the 'line up'...
many people are wondering who will emerge as the leader...
...here's who I saw and the order they passed by:

-Shachi J-19 was in the lead as they came up island about 1/2 mile south of the lighthouse...I 'assume' she had already passed the light by the time I got there because I didn't see her again...(I just found her in a sun glare image, just ahead of J-16, off the lighthouse - so she was in fact the lead whale!)

...I was now at the lighthouse...
...here is who I saw passing the lighthouse...




...CORRECTION
...the dorsal fin looked too 'hookie' to be J-49 but also short to be Se-Yi-Chn J-45...it bothered me since last night "where was J-49"...going back through the images I was glad I had gone to County Park...looking more closely at those images... 

Notes:
Who I saw: at least one member of each J Pod family group except for the J17 family...that only means I didn't see them...other folks may have. Onyx L-87 was present.

Shachi, Slick, Oreo, Hy'Shqa, and Tsuchi are each the oldest female within their family group.  The only one who was not present with them was Princess Angeline J-17.

My previous post was about the potential for the herring run in the inland waters way to the north...maybe the whales are heading that way to check out the salmon that would be going after that herring...that is if the California sea lions don't eat it all first. (part of the herring story)


~~~
Added Tuesday, March 7th
Reported today that 2 1/2 million lbs of herring had been off loaded on Saturday, March 4th.
This was in the area of Comox, B.C.

 






No comments: