Saturday, February 27, 2021

2-27-2021 Eagles and Whales, Oh, My!

 Saturday, February 27

A pretty day- no wind, no rain, I drive to the park and on my way I stop at a wide spot along the road just up the hill from the entrance to Lime Kiln.  I thought I was going to watch the birds...

I didn't even get the car turned off., when I noticed something moving, on the hill below me... car still in gear, grabbed my cell phone and after a while I wondered how many pictures I could take- ha!ha!...I had to shoot through the window, because anything might 'scare' off...


Yikes! I have not ever been this close to a bald eagle...the eagle was eating on something but I could not see it due to the lumpy hillside...

There were no other eagles around...this one was just chowing down...

After a while it flew off to this tree...

I drove down the hill and thought I might find it...I did but only to see it flying off...must have been full...

I decided to go to False Bay to walk - it's often a good place to go, because when I do whales usually show up at the park while I'm down island walking!...okay...back to check to see what that eagle had been eating on...it was a deer...

I noticed several eagles flying around and then I heard a blow...huh?... I heard it again...I looked toward the water (good idea) - whales!!!!!!

Made it running to the lighthouse in time to see the T49As, some of them...very close to shore, going up island...



...next stop...County Park...I get to County Park and tell some folks,  setting up their tents, that some whales were coming up island...


...sweet!...thank you whales...four of the T49As...T49A, T49A1 is the big male...there's mom and the two youngest...there are also 2 middle kids...and only those two know when, where, and with whom they will show up...after all those two do that!

...an adventurous day it was!

No comments: