Monday, April 13, 2015

4-13-15 In Focus Pictures In Seas Like That?

Monday, April 13th
...out on Maya's Westside Charters we had word of a few whales spotted over near Piers Island...but the report was a few hours old...hummm...we headed that way in the hopes of...at the top of Sidney Island we learn whales were seen heading down the west side of that island...as we went down the channel the seas, which had been calm, began to get choppy...
...when we entered Haro Strait the seas got really big! - oh, my!...and we hadn't found the whales yet - ugh!
...we kept on going and searching...off in the distance to the west I saw a blow...or I thought I did...and then, a fin!...

...I was just trying to get in focus pictures to see just who was present...but that didn't seem like it was going to happen!
...they must have heard me...they changed direction and came right by!
...


...
...
...


...there were a few behind us who caught up for a short while and then they split off...that's when I saw a calf!...look at that dorsal fin - talk about a stout fin...the calf was traveling tight to T75B...
...there are more babies born to the Transients...there are also many more females in the Transient Community of this area ...

...the whales I saw were the T65As, T65Bs, T75B with calf, and T75C...
...I sent images to the Center for Whale Research and to Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Biological Station, Nanimo, BC...

...Then starting at 11:25 p.m. over Lime Kiln hydrophones Transient calls started...this was getting interesting...more on next post...

No comments: