Friday, April 17, 2015

4-17-15 Transients All Throughout the Day

Friday, April 17th
...3:30 in the morning Transient calls, over the Lime Kiln hydrophones, wake me up...they lasted for close to an hour...since it was dark there was no way of knowing who or what way...so when they were located mid morning, it sounded like it would be another whale day...oops...just before we left the dock we learned that 'they lost them'! - oh, no!...searching, searching, everyone was searching, but with no big tall dorsal fins, and with other than calm seas it wasn't going to be easy...but finally someone did...and of course they were in the area where the seas were...well, let's just say - different...

...the T65As, T65Bs, T75B and her new calf T75B2, and T75C were in the area again...the seas were unusual...not rough, not big swells, but maybe some cross currents making for unusual bouncing around...the whales were having a great time...they were doing their own kind of bouncing around...
...and all that bouncing around made picture taking a challenge!
...here are some fun ones from the encounter on Maya's Westside Charters...
...an unusual angle...
...can you figure this one out?...
...this will give a clue...
...and then I had to include one of the new calf...
...check my posts from 4-13 and 4-16 for the two other encounters with this group...
...late in the day I get a call from Dave Ellifrit of the Center for Whale Research telling me of a large group of Transients heading across Haro Strait...I said I would look from shore to try to spot them for him as he went to the boat...well, I must say that was just too much fun...I took some pictures of the whales, as you can see they were a good distance but Dave got to them!

...I wonder where they will show up tomorrow... 

No comments: