Saturday, August 15, 2015

8-15-15 The Little Boy's Dream Became Reality

Saturday Morning, August 15th
...over twenty-five years ago a little boy loved orca whales so much that for Christmas he got 'everything orca'!...slippers, p.j.s, lunch pail, coloring books, and more...he already had the Free Willy movie!...
...this morning I heard whales over the Orca Sound hydrophones...I got myself to the park, and thinking I had plenty of time I casually walked down the hill toward the lighthouse...
...and then this man, who was relaxed in his looking out onto the water, all of a sudden pointed and stood up!
...I began to run...I knew what he was seeing...


...and the whales came by, fulfilling a boyhood dream...he saw his first ever killer whales...a man from Texas...I know he will never forget them and will hopefully do what he can to help preserve the wild salmon that these whales need to survive...thank you little boy all grown up!

Saturday Afternoon, August 15th
...out on Peregrine for an afternoon trip...just before leaving I wondered if I should have stayed on shore...the whales were coming up island...glad I was on the boat because they didn't make it to the park before they turned and when back down island...I was hoping to find out more as to who was out there today... and to see who I had missed when they came down in the morning...
...the whales were spread all over...and so was this group of kayakers...I wonder how come they didn't know the laws and the rules for kayaking...they certainly were waiting for the whales...and they certainly were a private group...all in single kayaks...


...between the morning encounter and this afternoon it was clear that all of the K13s were present...
...whale taking his/her own inventory as to who was present...
...the whales were going up island...turned and came back, turned again, and again...when they were going up island Nigel L-95, the K13 family, Nugget L-55 and most of her offspring, Surprise! L-86, etc...
...then off to the up island side there were other whales coming back down!...who were they?...oh, those were some who were present in the morning...Marina L-47, Mystic L-115, Muncher L-91, Surprise L-86...they met up and began to go down island...
...and then from offshore Crewser L-92 showed up...he and Cali K-34 were socializing and joined the rest as they headed back down island...
...it was a mixed up day but in the end it was the K13s, most of the L4s, L47s, L-95 and L-92 of the ones I did see...
...now where was Granny and the rest of the J pod whales and the K12s and the K14s from yesterday...shouldn't they be coming back down soon?...

No comments: