Tuesday, October 6, 2015

10-6-15 Round the Island With the T60s

Tuesday, October 6th
...thinking the Residents would be showing up this morning I went scanning early...scanned at place one and then on to the next...etc...
...something unusual happened...it was flat calm...should be able to see whales for miles...but so far I had seen nothing...
...then I heard what I thought was a blow (exhale) from an orca...but I couldn't find the whale...this went on for maybe 10 minutes...one blow every so often...but it was so faint that by the time it reached my ears the whale would have been under the surface...
..."keep looking"...I wasn't leaving until I found this whale!...finally!...the binoculars and the whale met at the same moment - I saw a whale! (like you'd think it was the first time ever!)...
...only one whale?...hummm...that was unusual...the whale was maybe 3/4 mile offshore...and a few minutes later I spotted three more that were about a mile offshore...I was expecting to now find more but I didn't...
...the question:  was it Residents or Transients?...that got answered quickly...they took a seal in the middle of a flock of birds...Ts it was!
...waiting and watching, hoping they would come up island...not expecting them to come much closer than a 1/2 mile offshore...but they had other ideas...
...another flock of birds...wonder if they will find a harbor seal down under...
 

...no meal in there...
...they kept coming...and moving in closer...
...am now at 'the wall' at Lime Kiln Pt. State Park...

 




...this is getting pretty interesting...3rd time in two weeks of having transient orcas on the shoreline at the park!

...and up island they continued...watching from each vantage point...then they went out of my sight and it was time to get to the harbor...
...out on Peregrine with Capt. Jim we met this group the T60s and T002B just north of the harbor...


...when you see the eyeball of a whale, even from your image..well, it's just special...

...some went around Battleship Island on the north side and T60D circumnavigated that little island...really!...they passed by the entrance to Roche Harbor...

...some went under someone's dock...and a paddle boarder was on the other side to 'greet' them!



...past Lonesome Cove Resort...


...around the corner and on down San Juan Channel...we left them at that point...they had taken multiple seals from when I first saw them until shortly before we departed...they might also have been taking some of their food along with them..
...these gulls wished they had left more scraps!

...but when I got off the boat I drove to the bottom of the island and got there just in time to see them, in the distance...they had almost circumnavigated the island today...what I wild day.

...and the Residents?...not today...no one saw them today...

No comments: