Thursday, May 7, 2020

5-7-2020 Surprise Encounter with Transients Today

Thursday May 7th

A Steller sea lion eating a fish or something, in close to shore near Hannah Heights area, at the same time Ts were nearby.
...then the Ts veered way offshore.

...'time out' for that eagle to go by !

...I couldn't tell if the whales were in Canadian waters...ah...except for a CA Navy ship that happened to see them, so the ship stopped....at this point I asked myself why I was taking images of whales so far away...who knew...
...the whales continued to go up Haro Strait, slowly...it was 20 minutes or more when the big male was not with the 'rest of the family'...hmmm...the rest of the family (I found out later that 'the rest of the family' was not mom and kids but the aunt and her kids) was now definitely in Canadian waters...and lookie here...
...looked like maybe there were two and it looked like they were hunting... ...and then started to move up island again and were coming in closer... ...the rest of the family was nowhere to be seen, so my focus shifted to the two males...and then...and then...right along the shore the two surfaced...
 T049A1 and his little brother T049A2


...after passing by, a couple minutes later as they surfaced I got a wiff - dead animal smell...they had gotten something along the way...likely a harbor seal because there wasn't a lot of hunting action...

Pretty interesting morning... ...I get up to a high spot to scan for the others...but instead this got my attention!
...it's not the greatest hummer image but the challenge was to get a somewhat crisp image of this hummer as it 'zooped' up and then 'zooped' down! ...Capt. Jim later let me know that they met back up with the rest of the family a few miles north and offshore from where I had seen them.

No comments: