Saturday, November 15, 2014

11-15-14 Which Way Did They Go?

Friday/Saturday, November 14/15th
...two audio days of Southern Residents and one afternoon with humpbacks...

Friday, November 14th
...4:01 a.m. over the Lime Kiln hydrophones I heard J pod calls...the calls were brief...they sounded as if they were coming in...but later I learn there are whales in the Strait of Juan de Fuca heading west...
...that was just the whales keeping everyone guessing...
...by the afternoon they were spotted going into Puget Sound...

Saturday, November 15th
...they are coming out of Puget Sound...but it took them a good portion of the day to do so...out on Maya's Westside Charters in the afternoon, we knew that the Residents were out of our range - like maybe 50 miles away...lucky for us Spencer of Legacy Charters was out with two humpback whales...

...one of the humpbacks is MMY0028...
...the other...I believe is MMX0006...
...I noticed that MMX0006 has lots of barnacles and MMY0028 doesn't...
...we had two other whales, with the same barnacle 'set up'..one with and one without...I just find it interesting about the barnacle thing...don't know why some are loaded with them and others not...

...while going through my images I heard the Residents over the Lime Kiln hydrophones...it started a little bit after 6:00 pm...usually when they are passing through that one area they are not on the hydrophones for 1 1/2 hours like the were this evening...pretty nice to hear them so vocal...oh, my and then I heard them again, quite loud, at about 11:00 pm over Lime Kiln HPs again...

...in the last few days we've been seeing leaping salmon, again, just like we did before the L12s showed up on the 10th...
...it's not rocket science...they just need the food!

No comments: