Sunday, November 23, 2014

11-23-14 Going Into or Coming Out of Puget Sound?

Catching up to November 23rd...

...the last several days have been time for listening to the hydrophones and for catching up!


...one of the most interesting things I've heard recently over the hydrophones are these unusual sounds...and I don't know what is making those sounds, but I think it's fish...
...and I wonder if there is some relationship to those sounds and the whales showing up, because it often happens that way...





...those 'fish' sounds started showing up on the Lime Kiln hydrophones a couple days before the L12s showed up...then I didn't notice them as much...but when those 'fish' sounds began to increase in frequency...it got my attention...it wasn't long before more whales showed up...

...and now the whales have been spending lots of time in Puget Sound...hearing them over the Lime Kiln or PT hydrophones as they come or go, as I did this morning...their calls were very faint and intermittent, so I put together 7 of the calls with a space between each...

...but I don't know if they were coming in or going out!
...if those 'fish' sounds start to show up on the Lime Kiln hydrophones again and then the whales show up along the west side of San Juan Island...well, then just maybe...
...it's a long shot, but always fascinating to try to figure it out!

2 comments:

Connie B said...

Hi Jeanne
They were going out of Puget Sound. I happened to be on the 8:00am ferry from Port Townsend, heard them on the hydrophones and was able to find a small group south of the ferry lane. I when I got off the boat, I headed up to Fort Casey and watched 6-8 head west towards the straits. There was also a large group of J & K pod whales that spent Sunday in Saratoga Pass. Connie Bickerton

Jeanne said...

That's Awesome Connie! Glad you were on the ferry and saw them. Mystery solved! This time anyway.
Thanks again!!!