Monday, September 23, 2013

9-23-13 Haro Strait - It's Been A Busy Place!

Friday afternoon, September 20th
...that afternoon after having seen a group of Transients in the morning, and after learning that some of the Residents were off the south end of the island, we headed up to meet the other Residents...they were coming our way...
...it was a confusing day, trying to figure out who was where...but at least we knew there were some K and some L pod whales coming down...here's a sample...

...Spock K-20...Comet K-38 is about to surface off to her right...
...most of the L4s were in this dark lit water...

...the next day Saturday (9-21) the reports of whales in Puget Sound ended up being confusing as well...
...so the day after - Sunday (9-22) - when I began hearing whales on the Lime Kiln hydrophones and the wind was whipping up and the rain was starting...well, good luck on figuring that out...based on what I thought I was hearing on the hydrophones...
...K Pod whales were quite present...
...I only heard a couple distinct J pod calls...was there a 'shout out'? or a quiet J pod or just a few J pod whales?...I don't know...
...Ls...well they would take until the next day...except for that one distant in the chop image I took...
...I couldn't find a fit in K or J pod for that fin, but I still couldn't tell who it was...then in the late afternoon I get a call that there are Transients nearby...stepping outside I see a very interesting group...
...evidently the females of these - T21, T18 and T19 were up ahead of them... 
...so then today, Monday (9-23), I get a call that 6 whales were seen in Haro Strait...maybe those Ts from yesterday???...nope...just a few minutes later I began hearing calls on the Orca Sound hydrophones and the first calls I heard were L Pod calls - ah...thank you very much - you were here yesterday!...
...off in the distance I saw...
...and when they started passing by at Lime Kiln a little while later...

...we saw you two on the 20th coming down with some K pod whales...and now today (9-23) coming down again...

...belonging to the same family -Tika K-33 (saw on 9-20) and Rainshadow K-37 (9-23)...

...and Crewser on the 20th and again today (9-23)...
...members of the same family groups of K and L pods I saw on the 20th coming down, and again today the 23rd, coming down...and these were said to be the ones (maybe others as well) in Puget Sound on the 21st...it's a challenge trying to get the puzzle pieces to fit!...

...no J Pod whales did I see...but the whales were spread for miles and my camera just doesn't reach that far for IDs...

...the Center for Whale Research was out with the whales today...they'll know!

No comments: