Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2-26-14 Thanks Granny!

Wednesday, February 26th
...I'm saying 'Thanks Granny' because of an image I discovered I had from 2012...
...the image - below - is not Granny, it's Jade L-118 when she was about 18 months old, with a fish in her mouth!!
...she was with her sister, Lapis L-103...
THIS IMAGE FROM FILE - SUMMER 2012


...and today the first whale I saw, far from shore - was Granny J-2, who stopped off County Park and spent about 7 minutes chasing after something - I'd imagine it was fish...she was going round in circles, zigging and zagging for a while and then began to move on up island...


...this all began for me at 7:43 this morning, when I heard a call on the Lime Kiln hydrophones...I knew they were near...but the roads were icy...so there would be no watching from the park for me this morning...
...I could see blows in the distance...one here, one over there...spread out whales...
...then I spotted someone closer to that ship...
...the whales were so spread that it was about 10 minutes between taking pictures of 'killer whale dots'...
...another male was out there...when he reached about the same place Granny had been, he stopped and forged...it was Mike J-26...
...others were out there, Slick J-16, Echo J-42 I did get pics of...
...except for some blows a million miles away, there was a lull of about 20 minutes...and then some blows coming up from the park...
...as they got closer, it seemed there were more and more...then some action began...not sure who the two on the left are...too far from shore...but whoever, it's always thrilling to see one breach...we must think they are feeling good because it makes us feel good watching them when they breach!
...the last of the whales to come up were Group B whales - I'm not sure if any Group A were mixed in with them...
...I saw some members of each of the family groups in J pod and Onyx L-87...Group A and B have stayed together so far this year, though they continue to travel as the two groups within the pod, for the most part...


...they haven't 'strayed' too far from 'home' - home being the Salish Sea...
...and since they've gone UP...they will most likely be back down at some point...let's just hope that again it's in the daylight with some calm seas!

No comments: