Friday, September 26, 2014

9-26-14 They've Been Here and There and Still Around

Catching up on the Rezzies...
...J Pod - all of them were up in the Strait of Georgia...a late in the day trip with Capt. Jim and passengers...at this time of year sometimes the lighting can be quite nice...



...and while we were way up there we learned that some whales were on the west side near Lime Kiln...listening to the Lime Kiln hydrophone recording that night it knew it was K Pod whales...and the report was three or four whales...but who?...I had my ideas but I needed proof of presence...
...early the next morning I saw Opus K-16 and Sonata K-35...I figured Cappuccino K-21 was somewhere nearby but I didn't see him...so after we left the Pacific white sided dolphins (see previous post)...we headed over to where those three whales were...out in the middle somewhere...

...thank you very much K-21!...this time Opus and Sonata were off in the distance...and we had to head for the harbor...these are most likely the whales who were on the west side the day before...

...J pod came down early the next morning and met up with the K Klik somewhere down there...later in the day they all were heading north...I was at the park..there was that humpback - again! - going up and down island...and I tried to get an image of the humpback with a killer whale in the image...no such luck...
...the whales went north...the humpback stayed on the west side...and then late last night the whales came back down from the Fraser River...
...but today, even though the humpback eluded my eyes all day long and the same whales took forever to get up island...I might have gotten the sounds of those two within a few seconds of each other...
...from the Lime Kiln hydrophones...

...I don't know about what I heard from the other night's recording...and this is another...was it a humpback?...I think so, but can't be sure...


...lots of excitement of humpbacks, Pacific white sided dolphins, lots of harbor porpoise, Dall's porpoise, young harbor seals being funny...
...AND with all that excitement please don't forget that the Southern Resident killer whales of J, K and L pods are STRUGGLING to find FOOD - Chinook salmon mainly...
...what will the humans do to help these whales have enough food to eat?
...anything?


No comments: