Do Not Copy

Do Not Copy

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

6-3-15 If You Send A Message

Monday - Wednesday, June 1-3

If you send a message sometimes you will be lucky enough to get a reply...
...on Monday morning about 3:15 a.m. J pod came down from the north...they were clear over the hydrophones, first Orca Sound hydrophones and then Lime Kiln and then drifted off...but then at about 4:40 a.m. they started up again, only this time they were on both Lime Kiln and Orca Sound hydrophones at the same time...
...and there were so many call and so many L pod calls that I was very curious to know if L pod had come in...
...here's what I heard...it's the 'up-tic' call that is what alerted me to the possibility...
video

...but then when the whales came up island later in the morning and Shachi J-19 was in the lead with Granny J-2 behind her, I knew right away - no L pod whales were present...J Pod continued north and haven't been seen since.

...now it's Wednesday morning about 6:30a.m.
...and here is the reply to the message...
video


...I get to the park and see whales going up island...I could see whales coming across from Discovery Island and heading up...now I was really curious - it didn't seem that J pod would be coming from there...
...and then the few whales I had seen going up island abruptly turned and headed back down island...that's when I got a picture of Nugget L-55...I headed down island a short distance to see who else I might see...

...some L pod whales returned on June 3 last year...very interesting...perhaps the salmon or the whales have calendars...



No comments: