Wednesday, June 3, 2015

6-3-15 If You Send A Message

Monday - Wednesday, June 1-3

If you send a message sometimes you will be lucky enough to get a reply...
...on Monday morning about 3:15 a.m. J pod came down from the north...they were clear over the hydrophones, first Orca Sound hydrophones and then Lime Kiln and then drifted off...but then at about 4:40 a.m. they started up again, only this time they were on both Lime Kiln and Orca Sound hydrophones at the same time...
...and there were so many call and so many L pod calls that I was very curious to know if L pod had come in...
...here's what I heard...it's the 'up-tic' call that is what alerted me to the possibility...

...but then when the whales came up island later in the morning and Shachi J-19 was in the lead with Granny J-2 behind her, I knew right away - no L pod whales were present...J Pod continued north and haven't been seen since.

...now it's Wednesday morning about 6:30a.m.
...and here is the reply to the message...


...I get to the park and see whales going up island...I could see whales coming across from Discovery Island and heading up...now I was really curious - it didn't seem that J pod would be coming from there...
...and then the few whales I had seen going up island abruptly turned and headed back down island...that's when I got a picture of Nugget L-55...I headed down island a short distance to see who else I might see...

...some L pod whales returned on June 3 last year...very interesting...perhaps the salmon or the whales have calendars...



No comments: