Thursday, June 5, 2014

6-5-14 Two Reasons for Whale Pics Today

Thursday, June 5th
...as it turned out being a shore day for me was perfect for a couple reasons...
...when I looked out the window and saw two whale watching boats heading slowly down island - yikes! what was I missing!
...I made it to the park and to the rock with about 2 minutes to spare...today I was hoping to see all the whales from yesterday, and Granny J-2, Onyx L-87, and Rhapsody J-32...
 ...it was shortly after 10a.m. when they came charging down down past the lighthouse...

...thanks Granny!...I knew you were there somewhere yesterday...glad to confirm you for today!
...Alki was farther off shore, as were some others...
...Onyx was even farther...at least he was here!
...I think I got a glimpse of Rhapsody J-32, but not enough to be positive...
...in the afternoon the whales began coming up island...
...some kayakers were hoping for a whale encounter...Success!
...little did I know at the time that the next day I would meet two of the people who were in this group of kayakers...yep...I sent them the picture!
Reason #1
...not all that many whales had come north but some had passed by the lighthouse...a few others had come up, foraged for a few minutes before turning back down island...
...the last to come back down was a group of four who were traveling together...at the time I didn't know there would be some significance to who these four whales are...
...three females, one male...cool, nice pics...blah, blah, blah...
...then on the way home I heard someone talking to Tucker the whale poo sniffing dog boat and they said they had gotten a sample but didn't know who the whales were - Bingo!...Reason #2
...now they do...hope it helps them in gaining some information...interesting enough too is that 2 of those whales had come in on May 31st and the other two came in the night of June 2nd...I am so curious as to what they were eating out on the outer coast...salmon of course, but maybe more...and it may have been too many days for that info though...


...so all who were here from yesterday and today were now down island...and it was late in the day...would they come back up tonight or would they leave...
...I noticed that over the last couple up island 'trips' they would not go as far up as the previous time...makes me think they run out of salmon so the come back down...
 

No comments: