Wednesday, July 9, 2014

7-9-14 Awakened at Four In the Morning!

Wednesday, July 9th
..."What? it's 4:20 in the morning! What are you doing here?"...I think I actually said that out loud as I hear J pod calls on the Lime Kiln hydrophones...
...I hoped they had turned and come back in because they ran into some incoming salmon...I had expected them to be gone for at least a day, which would have allowed me to sleep in...NOT!
...the fog to the south and no whales coming up until closer to noon gave me a chance to wake up or take a nap...
...I watched from home as they approached...the seas were rough and the whales were far away...there was a pause near Low Island off County Park...the whales were near the kelp beds there - the tail lob and the spyhop...
...when they moved on so did I...running to the neighbor's yard to glimpse them through the trees...that's Comet K-38 with Madrona leaves in the blurr...
...then, in the clear, Comet's mom Spock K-20 surfaced with her mom Skagit K-13...
...more whales came up...the K14s were close to shore as they went out of my view...
...the tall male is Lobo K-26...I heard that Granny J-2 was in the lead and the whales were spread for miles...
...as I watched the whales disappear from view a bald eagle appeared coming my way...I tell you this place is 'magic land'...
...on Maya's Westside Charters for a late afternoon trip we catch up to the whales in the Strait of Georgia...they were heading toward the Fraser River...
...first it was Mt. Baker as the backdrop...
...next location...possibly the town of White Rock - but I'm not sure...
...and then Pt. Roberts as Cali K-34 surprises everyone with a couple breaches...
...of course we weren't traveling far, it was just our angle was changing...
...and onward...
...at the day's end I had only seen whales belonging to the K14s, K12s and K16s...where were Cappuccino K-21, Opus K-16, and Sonata K-35?...
I also had only seen some of Group A whales...I did NOT see Shachi J-19 or Eclipse J-41...and I did not see any Group B whales...
...since I had heard they were all spread out I figured that Group B and the K Klik whales (K21,K16, and K35) were up ahead...
...so on home we went without another thought...

No comments: