Sunday, July 6, 2014

7/5-6/14 They Came in From Constance Bank

Saturday/Sunday, July 5/6th
Saturday, July 5th
...I had scanned for whales from my usual locations...nothing seen and with the flat calm seas and morning air I would be able to hear whales from a distance...nothing...
...taking a walk along the road I'm about a 1/4 mile from my car when I hear 'kwerfff' -...so they are still here...then I see a male dorsal fin just as it disappears from the surface...
...oh, no, my camera is in the car...I don't run but I sure did today!
...where I saw the whales was very close to shore just south of Land Bank...
...I assumed they were Residents...
...by the time I survived my run to the car the whales were surfacing a bit farther off shore, so I grabbed a couple images before getting to the park - where they often come in closer to shore...
...those are Transients!...the T49As...and when I got to the park they were closer to a mile offshore...the rest of the family group was there as well...(of course not T49A2 who travels with his aunt T49B)...
...I watched them for the next couple hours, thinking that these might be the whales we'd see when out on Maya's Westside Charters...
...wrong again!...the Southern Residents, or I should say most of them were spotted out near Constance Bank, off Victoria, B.C. and were headed our way...okay Ts you get a free pass for today...

...the Residents were in groups...nice for checking off who was there...looked like J pod and Onyx L-87, K pod, and the 4 family groups of L pod returning too...
...and what the whales passed by made was unusual sight for me...

...as the whales continued toward the island some the breaching began...
...Notch was doing the forward leap and belly flop routine!
...some whales made it up past the lighthouse a mile or two and then turned and went back down island, where they spent the rest of the day...coming back up, but just not far enough to make it to the park before turning and heading back down island...
...they were doing a lot of foraging...Polaris J-28 and Star J-46 were after salmon...

Sunday, July 6th
...Granny and her group - Group A - were at it again - going up island and the rest stayed back where they have been...
...actually it was another 5:00 a.m. morning!

...out on Maya's Westside Charters in the afternoon we meet up with Granny's group - Group A as I call them...while moving up toward Stuart Island we learn of a humpback whale very close by...so we took a detour to go see...
...this is the same humpback who we had that extraordinary close encounter with last November (see upper right section on my blog for a link to that)...glad the HB was only interested in feeding today...
...back to the orca...up at Turn Pt...
...and as they have been, they were very spread out...
...saw my first Harbor seal pup of 2014 today...
...Harbor seals are cute but I found something little and just as cute...

 

No comments: