Thursday, May 23, 2013

5-23-13 To See Orca Yesterday One Had To...

Wednesday, May 22nd
...be in Homer, Alaska!!  that is just too cool...thanks Christina for sending the article...it's very interesting...and they were in Katchamak Bay too..and they were offshore killer whales...spotted at first by Ashore Water Taxi...go to their map to see that service area...I know the area since my son and family live there...it's great to know I have whale spotters all the way in Alaska!... :)

...yesterday on Maya's Westside Charters we had a nice encounter with a Minke whale...

...then today. Thursday May 23rd, along the west side of San Juan Island there was a humpback who couldn't seem to make up her mind as to which way she wanted to go...if one was going to follow this whale from shore they needed a full tank of gas today - up island...no, down island...oh, no, up island...no, down...


I decided to just sit down and wait for the whale to go whichever way she wanted because she was practically outside my door, though at a distance...
...lucky for me she sounded going away from me, so I was able to ID her by the underside of her tail...I believe her ID # is BCY0324...I have seen her before...actually I saw her last year with her calf...
...she surfaced again and sounded again...this time much farther away...but that ship made for an interesting look...
...and then finally back up...she continued going up...at least for now...oops...she came back down again!!...she has been doing this since early this morning and right now it is about 5pm.

...4 of the last 5 days - Residents, Transients, Minke and a Humpback each on a different day - talk about mixing it up!

No comments: