Thursday, August 22, 2013

8-22-13 Transients In Spieden Channel

Thursday, August 22nd

...it began with finding out that many transients were heading up San Juan Channel...I didn't know if I could make it in time, but off I went anyway...just as I drove down the steep road to the little park I saw dorsal fins! yikes!...they were already there and looked like they were coming into Spieden Channel...I took a few pictures and then headed off to the next spot...just as I was getting out of the car I could see boats rounding the corner into Spieden Channel - wow! they really are coming this way...the tide was ebbing...they had been going against a strong ebb as they came up San Juan Channel, so coming into Spieden Channel they were going with the ebb and zoomed on by...
...they spent the next 1 1/2 hours (about) just east, outside the north entrance to Roche Harbor...here's the last I could see them...the rest of the time they were behind those rocks...arrow is pointing to where the whales were going...

...out on Maya's Westside Charters for an afternoon trip we meet up with the transients as they head north up Haro Strait...
...lots of playful behaviors...




...at one point the T30s and some others changed direction and headed away from the rest of the group...some moved past Turn Pt...
...and some headed along the top side of Stuart Island as others started to go up Boundary Pass, but they changed their minds and aimed for Swanson Channel...the T30s and friends caught up with everyone one else...no one was in any hurry to go anywhere...

...T30A - coming...and going...

...we heard that the Residents were heading back in and they got close enough for our late afternoon trip to go out to meet them...
...next post...

No comments: