Monday, December 9, 2013

12-9-13 If It Had Been Yesterday Today, Last Year

Monday, December 9th
...if it had been 'Yesterday Today, Last Year' then the whales would have showed up, though a bit early in the day, for Holiday Tours to the Top of the Lighthouse...
...they did show up today, but it actually began late yesterday and possibly a day or two before...
...confusing?...yes, I'd say so!

...December 6th...mid morning...extremely faint calls over the Lime Kiln hydrophones...

...December 8th...around 9 p.m...faint calls over the Lime Kiln hydrophones...
...December 9th...7:52 a.m....several signature L pod calls heard over the Lime Kiln Hps...then nothing...
...December 9th...around 8:40 a.m...loud and clear on the Orca Sound hydrophones- like so loud!

...but I hadn't seen anyone!...off and running...first stop County Park, since I thought they were going up island...wrong!
...they were coming down island!...off and running again!...to Lime Kiln! 
...four whales were approaching...

...as they approached, their angle wasn't helping me to ID and then they dove...oh, no!!!

...they were down...down..."won't someone please surface right here?"...

...his mom was present along with his sister L-83 and his nephew L-110...
...I'm not sure who these two are but it was a gentle looking touch...


...all the other whales were quite a distance from shore...
...after getting home I listened to the recording form the Orca Sound hydrophones and was surprised to hear calls from what sounded like all three pods...hmm...lot's of ship traffic and lots of ship noise...here's a short clip of what I heard over the Orca Sound Hps for close to an hour...


...mimic calls?...some members from all three pods?...there's even a call (repeated a lot) in there that I associate with the L12s or Onyx L-87...so I'm really curious who was there...
...all back together or still split?...
...as long as the whales know, and I'm sure they do :)

No comments: