Friday, July 18, 2014

7-18-14 Start and End the Day Listening to the Whales

Friday, July 18th
...this morning I heard echolocation clicks over the Lime Kiln hydrophones at about 8:30 a.m....arriving at the park I saw I had missed the whales going up island...however, only being six whales I figured they would come back down...thank you very much whales...it was one family group the L55s...Nugget L-55 and Skagit K-13 are the only females who currently have 4 living offspring...
...Nugget L-55 passing a Heermann's gull...
...two of Nugget's kids: Takoda L-109 and Jade L-118...
...L118 was having some fun, just like all kids like to...
...Lapis L-103 was off from the rest of them...and last to come back down was her oldest offspring, Kasatka L-82 with her first offspring, Finn L-116...(also Nugget's first grand kid)...
...the rest of the L pod whales that these six travel with were still down island, somewhere...others were coming down Rosario and a different group was coming down Boundary Pass to Haro Strait...they would probably all meet up... ...then a late afternoon trip on Maya's Westside Charters we go see what the whales are up to...socializing - again!
 
 

...no sooner do I get home then I hear them over the hydrophones, coming up island at the lighthouse...they continued up...

...maybe I get to sleep in tomorrow...

No comments: