Saturday, August 22, 2015

8-22-15 Almost A Superpod But Not Quite

Saturday, August 22nd
...6:30 a.m....far in the distance I could see Lea K-14's saddle patch...which meant others had indeed arrived in the night...
...at 9:30 a.m. they came up past the park...


...some were far offshore in large groups...and many groups in close...when I saw that Ballena L-90 was with Crewser L-92...well she hasn't been in here in quite a while!...so I was now on the lookout for the others who hadn't been here...
...out on Peregrine with Capt. Jim whales were passing by as we came out of the harbor...we slowly made our way to the outside...and that's when I had to stop and 'process' oh, my that's the L54s!!  WOW!...this is the first time this season they have made it in this far!...and it's the latest I've ever seen them in the 12 seasons I've been watching these whales...
...with them were Nyssa L-84 and Wave Walker L-88...they had been documented by the Center for Whales Research earlier in the season, but they just hadn't made it to the lighthouse or anywhere near there...that is until today! 




...after leaving the main group of Js and Ks and some of the Ls, and we were heading back toward the harbor, we stopped to see the L54 group and some other L pod whales...they surprised us by coming to the inside of Java Rocks...something I think the Residents rarely do...that's Java Rocks behind Ino L-54, Coho L-108, and Keta L-117...
...that's Saturna Island behind these two...
...approaching Monarch Head, as they continued on up...even though they were way behind the others I believe they joined up with them somewhere along the way...guess I'll find that out tomorrow...

...it looked like just about everyone was here except for the L12s...almost a superpod...but they were going to keep us all waiting...

No comments: