Wednesday, September 13, 2017

9-13-17 Spectacular From A Distance

Wednesday, September 13th
...when I learned that the whales were coming down San Juan Channel...well, I had to head that way...it isn't common to see them coming down and exiting Cattle Pass...I wasn't going to miss it!
...it's not uncommon to see the Transients on the far side of the channel, but today it was going to be the L Pod whales who were way, way, over there...
...had they been really close I wouldn't have seen the people and would have likely missed some of the action...






...then they exited Cattle Pass and headed offshore and up island...
...by now they were really far offshore...

...however, there were a few who were quite close in at South Beach...the first time I've ever gotten an image from there...
...then on up island the whales went...but they didn't get all the way up before they changed direction, spread out, and eventually headed south...
...while sitting in a chair seeing the whales from a very, very long distance, a mystery captain broadcast some of the calls over the hydrophones...
...not very good with my cell phone, but realized I could take video of the calls...and while holding the cell phone - ha! - I got my shadow too...
...well, thank you mystery captain, you brought the whales right to me!

No comments: