Tuesday, January 16, 2018

1-16-18 Birds

Tuesday, January 16th
...not much of a birder but do like to photograph them when possible...
...and it was on the 14th when I was out and about to see what birds I could see is when I saw J Pod...so, you just never know...

...however, no sightings other than birds in the last few days...
...here are a few...



 ...those three Harlequin ducks and the lighting - which made these three look black and white, reminded me of a new island resident...
...

...I have since tried twice, but it will take being at the wall at just the right time in order to get a picture of just the top of that rock exposed...

...I then went to County Park and saw this Pigeon Guillemot...
...and another five Harlequin Ducks...same combination - 3 males and 2 females...
...

...but no birds within camera range that day...
..and no whales the next day but some more birds...






...and this one, I haven't a clue...
...too funny! - this image proves I'm not much of a birder - it's a robin!  Sure doesn't look like one to me...I think I'll stick with the orcas!
 
...it's the sunny days at this time of year that are a must to get outside!

4 comments:

Robin Gardner said...

Hi Jeanne, my guess for the last photo of the bird in question is that it is a Veery.

Identification
Tips

•Reddish-brown above, grayish-white below
•Breast buffy with small dark spots, spots larger in western birds
•Gray face and buffy throat
•Cinnamon upperparts in eastern United States birds, duller in western birds
•Indistinct eye ring
•Underparts white with gray flanks
•Pink legs
•Thin bill with pale base
•Sexes similar
•Often forages on forest floor
•Distinctive beautiful song

Jeanne said...

Thanks Robin, I'll check it out. I haven't ever heard of a Veery before!

Connie said...

Hi Jeanne, Your mystery bird is an American Robin. Veery is also a thrush, but extremely unlikely to show up on San Juan Island.

Jeanne said...

Thanks Connie. It was the tan coloration that I could not match up to any robin images anywhere, so I just thought I'd leave it up to the birders to tell me.