Thursday, January 23, 2020

1-23-2020 Rafting Sea Lions

Thursday, January 23rd

…"What is that?"  It's a barking California sea lion...running now...to the shoreline hoping to see which way he is going, etc...just cause...

...off in the distance I see him and hear him as he continues down past the south end of the park...
...and then a Steller sea lion surfaces just to the up island side of the lighthouse...
...and a friend also sees a California sea lion in front of the lighthouse!

wild!!  ...these two were going down island, but I didn't see the Steller sea lion again...and then I began to wonder if I had...

...well, the answer came a little while later, when a raft of sea lions slowly moved up, close in to the shore...I was stunned!
...how many...was the question...it looked like about 8...but not...and at a general look it looked like California sea lions...

...see how many you can count...how many flippers?...front flippers (the ones 'pointing the way')...and the back flippers (the ones that look like they have toes (well, sort of)...how many heads...  


...something I caught on the video, two sea lions doing something together...not sure why they were doing that, but I learned that might not be that uncommon...but what seems uncommon is to see a raft of sea lions (even though a small group), floating up island with the current...
It was a slow motion - wow!


...just before the raft made it to the lighthouse, one of the sea lions reacted to something on the shore...he barked one loud bark and all of them dove quickly...a few minutes later they began to surface...which was nice...to attempt to see age categories...



 ...here's the Steller sea lion who was in the mix...

...but when I went through the images it looked like there were two Stellers...

...the arrows are point to the four heads of CA sea lions at the surface at the same time...

...and then there was this adult harbor seal who watched the sea lions as they continued on by!


...I kept watching for the sea lions to return, but the weather and sea state wasn't the most cooperative...so I missed them...I found that out when a friend called to let me know they were rafted up along the mouth of Deadman's Bay, which is where they had come from in the first place!




No comments: