Saturday, February 29, 2020

2-29-2020 J Pod Can Only Do This Once Every 4 Years

Saturday, February 29

...it was about 8a.m. when I decided to take a walk...luckily it was along the road on the westside of the island...
...and luckily I didn't get very far when I happened to see a blow in the distance - just one blow...hmmm...trees and the angle of the shoreline didn't give me much opportunity to see another, to figure out direction of travel...
...so at a 'quick-step' (ha-ha) I made it back to the lighthouse and Oh, My...here came a whale!
...once again just one whale...oh, but that one whale was important to me - It was Shachi J-19... 
...in the lead...why important?...because she became the replacement for Granny J-2 when Granny died in late 2016.  It still is not known if her leadership role is temporary or permanent and what if any changes may occur because of this...and what does temporary mean to the whales, anyway?

...I soon saw another and another coming up about 1/4 mile behind her and a bit more offshore...Eclipse J-41 and Nova J-51...
...then a few others...the whales were spread out...it was J Pod, of course...
...here came two males...Blackberry J-27 and who?
...it's Cookie J-38!
Behind them was Se-Yi-chn J-45...I remember when I first saw him - he was a brand new baby - the first newborn I had ever seen and that was back in 2009 and it was from shore at the park...

It took a while to locate others...there was a group offshore by more than a mile...
...the whales were moving at a steady pace, going up island...and then Blackberry and Cookie stopped and were actively foraging...

...they were farther to the north when the following echolocation clicks began...very loud...and then Alki J-36 surfaced...!
...can't be sure but it might have been her...



...the seas were choppy at first and eventually settled...the whales continued north...
So what is it they can only do once every four years?
The answer is:  travel in the Salish Sea on February 29.






No comments: