Monday, May 26, 2014

5-26-14 The Harbor Seal Express

Monday, May 26th
...out on Legacy Charters for an afternoon trip to meet up with some whales that had been spotted earlier in the day...they had come down through Active Pass...Capt. Spencer told me they had been eating harbor seals all morning long, so I was surprised to see they still at it when we arrived on scene...
...the whales were too far away to tell who was present...

...I didn't notice this until I looked at my images...
...I still wasn't sure what it was - a wound or what...
and then after while she spyhopped...
...she has three gashes...one above her eye, one below and the other one which was the long one...from this image her eye looked normal...
...it's T124A and the gashes look like maybe they are a few days old, but I really don't know...they are still pinkish, but not real bright pink...
...we had the T124As today...or at least those are the only whales I saw in my images...
...there was a lot of this going on...
...the whales seemed to finish their meal and began to travel...they seemed to maintain a course...but it wasn't long before they sped up - ah-ha!...they were after something...
...even the new baby T124A5 got in on the session...
...not sure if they were doing some training or they were serious about having another bite to eat...it was getting rather interesting...even Soundwatch got caught...happens to everyone from time to time...
...notice that boat on the left in the image above?...well that harbor seal noticed it too...and it wasn't long before...
...yep, that harbor seal decided a boat ride was just the ticket to stay alive for another day...the whales didn't seem too happy about the situation...they kept coming back over toward the 'seal boat'...
...and the last look was from T124A2...and then they moved on...
...on the way back I transferred to Capt. Jim's boat, as he was bringing some college students out for a quick look at the whales...the first time for most of them to see an orca in the wild...let me tell you all the squeals and excitement that abounded when they got their first glimpse...and their second...and third...it was so awesome to witness such exuberance!


...two little ones under a year old seems to add the 'baby factor' to an encounter...and on our way back to the harbor we saw two very tall ships...and had to go say hello...S.A.L.T.S. 
....whenever I see these tall ships I just realize I live in 'magic land'...what an awesome place this is...
...now if only there was salmon to feed the whales...

No comments: