Sunday, May 24, 2015

5-24-15 Transient Orcas in Haro Strait

5-24-15
...out on the Peregrine in the afternoon to go see some transient killer whales who had been spotted in the late morning...they were coming our way...
...one male, with a small notch near the top...Dan of Orcas Island Eclipse Charters called to ask me who it was and told me that some were saying it was T51..."okay"...I didn't know T51 so that sounded good to me...well now I know who he is and I'll not likely forget him either!
...I looked at my files later and saw that I had seen him, briefly in 2012, but no images, that would show who he was, to put in The Book, so I didn't...

...he was traveling with the T36As and the T75Bs they have the newest baby of the group...we first saw this calf on April 13th...this baby would surface at about the 1/2 way mark of the adults down time...that was great, it gave us a marker as to where they were!

...they would get active for a few minutes and then it was back to resting...
here are some of their more active moments of the day...
 

 
...on the way back to the harbor Capt. Jim stopped to show the folks an eagle's nest...one of the passengers spotted not only the mom but a chick!
...back out again, the whales, who had gone in pretty close to shore, coming up island, veered offshore into some pretty choppy seas...oh, but Capt. David and his sailing ship...fun attempts for me to try to get in focus pictures!

...the whales were in a resting mode a good part of the time and with the choppy seas it wasn't easy to see the two babies...the one popping his/her head up is T75B2...
...the seas had settled somewhat and then the wakes of a couple really loaded down ships came our way and they got active for a few moments...relationships to the wake of the ships??...don't know...
...we left them heading west and we headed east...

...tomorrow will be another interesting day...there were transients all over the place so I imagine there might be again tomorrow...
...today no Southern Residents were seen at all...they might still be in here and if they are they are either in Trincomali Channel, which I doubt - too busy a time of year for them to be missed by eyes - or they went farther north...
...for the SR killer whales its about the salmon...where's the salmon, not just any salmon, but the kind they prefer - Chinook.  That's where the whales will be.
 

No comments: