Tuesday, October 29, 2019

10-29-19 Humpback On the Hydrophones Again!

Tuesday, October 29th
...Monday ended with plans to get certain things done on Tuesday...
...oh, well...
...interrupted by some whales !!

 ...it was only 24 minutes into the day...you know, like in the middle of the night, when something woke me up!
...below are some of the vocals as shown on a spectrogram, which shows the structure of the vocalization...
...I haven't heard that many humpbacks but I more look for the vocal to be on the low section on the sprectrogram (lower tone), 
 ...so when I saw some that were quite high and looking somewhat similar to Southern Residents...hmmm


...well, I began to wonder...where there two species of whales I was hearing?
...after listening and re-listening to the recording, etc. I decided on humpbacks...

~~~
...little did I know I'd be listening to some more unusual sounds, midway through the day...from other whales - the Southern Residents !!  - Yes !! ...they came back down from the north today and came past the park and down Haro Strait...
...I imagine they'll be in Puget Sound or headed west in the morning...
...but since they like to 'make a liar' out of me...just maybe they'll be on the west side - ha!  ha!

No comments: