Tuesday, November 5, 2019

11-5-2019 SRKWs Here Today

Tuesday, November 5th
...yesterday on the 4th there were members of J, K, and L pods present in the Strait of Juan de Fuca...not all, but evidently many of them...

...so why was I surprised when I heard a call at 07:40 this morning...
...they were coming in from Discovery Island, I thought...
...during that first hour I heard, a few J Pod calls and a few K Pod calls...but later when I learned who was present...well, that changed who might have been 'saying' what...the L54s were here today and they 'speak' K Pod (kitten sounding call)...I've documented that many times in past years...not sure about J Pod though...maybe they were there or maybe just a family group - like the J16s will often split off from the rest of J Pod...or someone from K or L could have been calling out to J Pod...don't know...

...the whales were quite vocal for several hours...'til about about noon or a bit after...
...there was foraging going on, echolocation clicks were heard...
...it is always special to see them...and to see what will present itself as distractions while watching the whales!




 ...when they were going up island, fewer images because of their distance...when they came down they were still a good ways off...except for a couple of them...



...I wonder if that is a new 'dog' on the bow - ha-ha...I don't see little Eba
...so I had to include this...my favorite pic of the day !
...when will the whales be here?...people ask all the time...well, I certainly would not have thought on November 5th!


No comments: