Monday, August 17, 2020

8-17-2020 Fun Stuff and A Mystery Too

 August 16th....over the last several days...

...J, K and L Pod whales have not been in the inland waters this month (August), yet.  There's still a 1/2 month ahead.  The salmon aren't here either, so I'd really them to be where there is food for them...

...the birds have been interesting...the T10s came by but veered way offshore before entering the Park area...there's always the crows, and this year especially loud - maybe because there aren't as many people, therefore not as much food to steal!






...for maybe about a week now, every evening and sometimes all through the night, on the Lime Kiln hydrophones there has been a sound that 'shows up' and it sounds like something is dragging...like in maybe a cable loose or something...

...but yesterday afternoon I spotted something.  They were and likely still attached to something.

...this was in the bay just to the north of the lighthouse...I hadn't seen them before. Nor had I noticed them before mid-afternoon.  Whatever it was had a lot of kelp around it and moving ever so slowly...of course, the current was in control...

...later I heard that dragging sound...here's a sample...sometimes it would repeat about every 10 seconds and last for hours.  Sometimes it would fade in/fade out over a period of time...hmmm...hope this short clip works...


...I got to the light as fast as I could...I didn't seen anything, but was glad I got there to see that sunset...then I realized that those posts were there and in the picture!

They were no longer in the bay, but out from the bay...no telling where they might or not show up next!


added at 3pm
...I just learned these sounds might be from a (more?) harbor seal(s)...very interesting...
...and now there is still derelict/debris floating out there somewhere that might be being very quiet!

No comments: