Friday, August 21, 2020

8-21-2020 Okay, Ts, the Hydrophones Just Detected You!

August 21st apx 7:15 a.m.

Transients don't vocalize as often as Southern Residents...

...but today they gave themselves away early this morning over the hydrophones!

...now if I hadn't had a heads up from a friend who lives in another country, I certainly would have missed them...so thank you!

..hit the record button and out the door to try to make it...as I got there I could hear their exhales...running, me that is, I could see one and could hear more as they surfaced and breathed...

...as I got to the waters edge they had already gone by...but T019B and most huge/leaning dorsal fin...well, I knew who at least some of who were present...

...had I not 'hit the record button'...I never would have heard:


 ...yep, that's some of them right over the hydrophones, they were that close to shore!  fun stuff!!

...seconds after this there was another of similar sound...the others...

...got into the car and got ahead of them...but by then they were already moving offshore a bit and it wasn't long before they disappeared into the morning fog...

...they were quite distant, so I matched up some of the surfacing sequences...I am sure about the T018s but not sure about the T090s...I haven't seen the T090s in a long while....

...nice surprise plus the added bonus of hearing their 'water disturbance' over the hydrophones too!...first time I have ever documented that!  Fun stuff!!

No comments: