Tuesday, August 19, 2014

8-19-14 Zoom Went the Whales

Tuesday, August 19th
...well that was awesome...zoom! they went by fast...J and K pods...



...well, I saw who I needed to see to know who was present, so pictures or not I walked away a-okay...but not before I watched others come up island and pass the lighthouse...the last of them were the K14s...all of J pod had already gone by, with most of K pod too...the only K pod whales still not around are the K Klik...they are becoming more and more independent...
...there was a very thick marine layer or maybe almost fog trying to happen...a while later as I stepped out the door at home and saw blows coming up island...what?-who?
...I immediately called the Center for Whale Research...I saw at least 8 to 10 blows at once...it was either L pod whales who had decided not to go out or it was one heck of a big group of Ts...by the time I went out on Maya's Westside Charters they had flipped and were going back down island...
...Crewser L-92 and friends...

...as they were just north of the lighthouse a couple of them began zooming... chasing each other? or surfing?...here's one of them...
...then just south of the lighthouse one of the males of the group...

...and down island they went...and up island we went...
...so today with salmon still being scarce, 41 J and K pod whales (and Onyx L-87) went north to the Fraser River and 24 L pod whales stayed south...and of course others went back out...

No comments: