Friday, June 12, 2015

6-11/12-15 L Pod and K Pod Changed Places

Thursday/Friday, June 11/12th
Thursday
...calls over the Lime Kiln hydrophones at about 7:15 this morning...I heard J pod calls and bolted out the door...scanned but could not find them...back home and listening to the recording...K pod calls were there too!
...I was at Lime Kiln Pt. State park when the whales came up...a great day for me to be on shore...
...at first Shachi J-19 was leading the way...not far behind her was Eclipse J-41 and baby J-51...
...interesting too that Slick J-16 and 'CatchUp' J-50 (who was all caught up this morning) and Alki J-36 and baby J-52 were the next two pairs to come by...
...behind them was Granny J-2...as usual I'll call out Granny's name when she surfaces, so people will know that's her...one woman heard me and asked me if that was Granny (Granny was very close to shore)...when I told her yes, she just started to cry...she got to 'meet' Granny...and for those of you who know that kind of feeling I need not say anymore...

...and then...and then...Sequim K-12!
...it was almost like a roll call...slowly going by...giving us a chance to see just who was here...or most of who was here...


...when Slick and Alki and their babies had gone by, I noticed that Echo J-42 wasn't with them as she usually is...so a little while later when I saw Cali K-34, who had turned down island for a moment, I wondered who was with him...

...It was Echo J-42!
...notice how similar their left side saddle patches are...
Friday
...it seems that on Wednesday night or Thursday morning the L pod whales either left the area and headed back west in the Strait of Juan de Fuca or are still down there somewhere, because there were no L pod whales present (as far as I could tell), except for Onyx L-87, but we know he travels with J pod now...

...I stayed on shore on Thursday and again on Friday because the seas were not too nice in some areas...
...so I get an email from Capt. Jim asking if I'm going  whale watching tomorrow...so here is my Friday afternoon reply...(click to enlarge)



Neither J or K pods were seen today, as far as I know...the Strait of Georgia had predicted gale force winds and the whales were last seen Thursday evening headed that way...

No comments: