Wednesday, July 1, 2020

7-1-2020 K Pod Here - Part 2

Wednesday, July 1st

...a continuation of the day (see prior post) 
...the K12s and K13s passed the lighthouse and continued up island...
...no wait...
...yes...
...no wait... !

...they had gone half way to the county park...and sometimes they all are close enough to shore that they cannot be seen from shore from either Lime Kiln Pt. Park or San Juan County Park - really!  
...so those, me included, headed to county park, thinking the whales were continuing north...
...nope they turned back south, then north again and eventually made a decision to go back down island...

...there were a zillion breaches as they approached the lighthouse...of course I missed them all because I was in my car, being as undecisive as the whales had been!

...I finally 'planted' myself at Land Bank in time to watch the whales going back down island...


...were they glad to be in their summer home?...were they glad to be going back down island where there was some salmon?






...the whales remained off the south end of the island for the rest of the day...

Is there enough salmon for them to stay?
Are they eating Chinook or what?


No comments: